Monday, August 10, 2009

Some things I've learned in the first year of parenting

10. Giving birth is not nearly as scary as one would expect after watching TLC shows.

9. Nursing is natural and wonderful, but not necessarily easy to learn.

8. I can actually be nurturing. After all those years of being cold-hearted, who knew!

7. Pets do NOT prepare you for parenting...even needy pets!

6. Brown eyes plus brown eyes equals green-grey eyes?

5. Tylenol infant drops are worthless cherry flavored liquid. Motrin is the only thing that really works.

4. Probiotics are amazing.

3. Apparently, I prioritize convenience over the environment. I phailed at cloth diapers.

2. Egalitarian, my a$$. Maybe over the long run, but the first year was definitely mommy slanted.

1. Life is so much better after I traded in vanity for loving my little boy.

0. Any sacrifices are worth it for my sweetest boy in the world.

7 comments:

Ann said...

Yeah for you! You're right on the money with these... Glad you're enjoying the journey!

Two Girls said...

Perfect. Couldn't be said better. I agree with No 9 completely...wish both her and I would have learned. But after 3 months of trying and a hungry baby, I gave into the Ameda. Glad life is happy for you. We made it!

Jomomma said...

"There is no falling in love like falling in love with a child." You're the Mom every Gramma hopes for, Amy.

Lynn Tran said...

Lessons well learned and well shared.

Bryna said...

What a great list. Since I'm about to embark on #10, I'm glad to know you took in stride.
We're going to try on the cloth diapers thing, but I too suspect that convenience will ultimately win. We shall see!

Concept ALT said...

Good luck, Bryna. I wish you the smoothest of births for your little one.

Steph said...

oh, great list. i love this post!