Monday, August 24, 2009

The Long Walk

I have been working with Xander to try to get him to walk on his own a bit more (he isn't getting any lighter). In the mornings when I drop him off at day care I try to get him to walk with me inside. I've never gotten much further than a few feet, and he usually just plops down on his butt, or follows after me crying (and falling). This morning however he surprised me by not crying at all when I put him down on the ground. He even walked part way with me while I held his hand. It was slow going, but he actually walked all the way inside without me having to carry him. He sat down a couple times, but I got him going again. We got almost to the door to his room before he saw one of his caregivers and at that point I think he realized that I was going to be leaving soon, and he starting doing his usual crying and walking.

3 comments:

Jomomma said...

Good for you...and Xander! Y'know I've never understood these parents who constantly carry around their toddlers on their hip. I realize it can be slow going with someone just learning to walk but damn...slow down and enjoy the moment!

Concept ALT said...

I think it has to do with the fact kids are different. I carry Xander around a lot in public places and there are many good reasons for doing that. Mostly, it is to keep him out of trouble. Once he understands language a little better, we can use that to keep him out of trouble more than physical restraint. Since kids develop language skills many different paces, I suspect that is why some parents carry their toddlers around longer than others.

Jomomma said...

That makes sense.