Saturday, January 31, 2009

Eatings carrots

Dolphin likes to scoop the pureed veggies into a plastic measuring tablespoon and then feed Xander spoonfuls out of the tablespoon. I prefer one of our tiny sushi soy sauce bowls to hold Xander's portion.

These are pre-made carrots. I was going to make Xander's first carrots and squash at home until I learned that nitrates were a concern for babies...well, I guess it is a concern for everyone, but more for babies. The manufacturers have access to low-nitrates carrots that most people cannot buy in stores. So, for the first few months, it is safer to buy the pre-made carrots. Squash and a couple of other vegetables also have similar nitrate issues.

Speaking of cooking, I have been wondering about making Xander's 1-year birthday cake. I was thinking of maybe making a jello cake with fruit and whipped cream instead of the traditional cake and frosting. Kind of a strange thing to think about, I suppose, given that is half a year away still.

2 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Glad you came to that conclusion, even mother birds feed their babies. When he gets a few more teeth and starts chewing better, he will be all about picking up food and eating. When you sure he has good control and he won't poke his eye out he will start with the silverware. Six months is a bit young to pick up mushy food and try to get it in their mouth.

Jomomma said...

The jell-o cake sounds great...he'll have such fun playing with it too! You should make a half-cake or half-jello on Saturday for his half-birthday. :-)