I was ready some web articles about how to introduce solid foods. There is this one methodology where the baby leads the way. The baby only eats solid food that he or she can feed to herself. This way, the introduction is slower because baby is uncoordinated at first. Slower is better nutritionally.
I am not hard-core into any particular methodologies, but reading about this does inspire me to give self-feeding a try. Xander does grab at our food and at the food we feed him with a spoon. I am wondering if I put some blended veggies in front of him, if he would put his hands in it and try to eat it. It's going to be messy I'm sure, but something we can try on the weekend when things are not so rushed. I am going to give it a try. Is this bad? Is he going to have a hard time learning to use utensils because I'm letting him do it the hands-on way?
I'm sure the bibs that Grandma Carla sewed will come in handy.
4 comments:
I would think it isn't the greatest idea just for the reason you mentioned. It is hard enough to get them to use their spoon and fork when they are ready for that. Enjoy the fact that you have control right now, because if he is anything like you and Trevor were you will be hearing " Me do it! Me do it!" soon enough.
i think it's fun for babies to play with food. I think we let rosemary hold/play with her food quite a bit when she was little. I didn't think of it as baby-led anything as much as just letting her experience different textures and sensations, that sort of thing. she's 19.5 months now and can eat comfortably with a spoon and fork although not always accurately and still makes messes.
i don't know if I would do this baby-self-feeding thing exclusively but we certainly did plenty of just plopping mushy foods on her tray and letting her experience it herself, but looking back I don't think we did very much of that until she was older-- maybe 8 or 9 months or so?
Amy, I am sure enjoying your Blog. Xander is lucky to have such good parents.
Audrey (Joe & Dana's girl) will only eat whatever you put on her tray and as I understand has not eaten prepared baby food.
Thanks for the feedback, all. I have decided to wait on the self- feeding just a little bit longer for Xander to get a little more coordinated. He's still very content with us feeding him with a spoon right now and there is plenty of time for him to get his hands into things when he is more coordinated. I don't want him accidentally getting food in his eyes, which he would probably do right now.
It sounds like Joe and Dana are doing quite well with Audrey. I can't remember...how old is she now?
Post a Comment