Saturday, December 10, 2011

Aria's 9th month check up

At 9 months, Aria has a host of new skills to share:
- She said her first word. Dolphin isn't convinced but I think Grandma Jo and I are. While eating, if she wants a food, she says "mah" while intently staring at the food item. Since I have been trying to teacher her "more" by doing the sign and saying the word at the same time, I think she's got it. She can't do the real sign which involves coordinating two hands, but she does beat one hand on the table. I'm working on "all done" next and also our special word for nursing..
- She's definitely go object permanence down. She's a bit persistent when she wants something and we take it away. Oh the sibling fights have already begun. Mostly verbal (or should I say vocal) thus far. Xander yelling "No, Aria" or Aria just crying when he takes something away.
- She seems to understand and try to mimic some actions. For example, Xander has a toy where you put two toy cars at the top, press a lever, and the two cars race down spirals to the bottom. I showed this to her. When the cars were finished racing and at the bottom, she picked up one car. Instead of putting it into her mouth (which she does with many new objects), she reached to put it back up to the top.
- She's got her pincer grasp down well. In fact, it's annoyingly perfected as she likes to pinch us as a sort of a soothing activity. She pinches both Dolphin and me so I don't feel like the only one suffering. She also uses this skill to annoyingly pick up the smallest specs of dirt on the floor and put them in her mouth. Suddenly, I feel if we live in a pig sty. Who knew there was some much dirt on my floor!
- She is standing nut. She pulls up to standing and can sit back down rather nicely. She can stand just holding on to something with one hand. She'll use almost anything vertical to pull up on: laundry baskets, tables, and other older kids at school (poor guys).

As for her check up, it went fine. She measured 20lbs 4oz (75th-90th percentile), 27.4 inches (25-50th percentile), and head circumference of 45.4 CM (75th-90th) percentile. I think the height is a bit off because Aria was a crazy squirmer and would not stay still for the measurement. She kept arching her back to turn over.

Unfortunately, as with her last appointment, Aria had an ear infection. In fact, it was a double. I had suspected as much but was kind of hoping she would get over it on her own. In any case, we have the pink stuff now and oh boy, she SLEPT SO much better last night and during her naps today. I'm glad she is getting some relief.

One more thing, as the doctor was examining Aria, and I was holder her in a laying position, I noticed the tiny buds of two top teeth just starting to poke through. Finally, we're getting some more teeth!

2 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Can't wait to see her smile once she gets some teeth!

Two Girls said...

Yay Aria! Growing, healthy girl. :)