Feeding Aria has been an interesting ordeal over the last month. I mean it's probably only interesting to me, but I feel week have made finally some good progress.
Around the beginning of June, Aria's teacher's said that she was able to eat 4oz in each bottle, 4 times a day. It seemed like a lot, but I pushed hard to try to pump that much. Then, she got two viruses. She lost her appetite a few days for each but was back to nursing every 2 hours. When returning to pumping though, I noticed that I just couldn't keep up with the 16oz per day.
Over the last two weeks, I have been using up ever bit of frozen milk that I had to keep up with the 4oz/4 times per day. I'd also been using every trick in the book to boost milk supply. Extra pumping sessions, compression, etc.
At the same time as I struggled to keep up, Aria's teacher's were telling me that she was spitting up a lot. A lot means 3 out of 4 oz would come back out. What a waste. Here I am struggling and its all on her clothes! My first thought was that it was something I ate, which actually the least likely cause, but...I digress. In hind sight, I should have recognized it sooner, but basically her teachers were overfeeding here. The 4oz/4 times per day was just a temporary growth spurt and not a new level to maintain.
So, we told her teacher's to dial back each bottle to 3 oz and we went back to the newborn nipples (one size down). The result? Success! Not only was she completely satisfied with 10-12oz (something I can manage to produce in a normal day), she didn't spit up all over herself.
I think the teachers assumed that a kid is going to eat until full. However, I think Aria is a such an efficient feeder. She can quickly finish a few ounces but still needs to be held and have some sucking time. So, she sucks for non-hunger reasons.
The one positive side effect is that my milk supply is boosted a few ounces now. So, perhaps, I can restock a few packets in the freezer.
2 comments:
I think she is just a Therrien who likes to eat, you were the same way, you would eat and end up spitting up the excess. I wish we would have had different size nipples back then, what a great idea.
Breast fed babies eat to appitite! Not the bottle! Yay for you for sticking up for her. How exhausting to try to get 16 oz when you only need 12. Again, Yay for you! Good Mama!
Post a Comment