Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Potty stuff

So, Xander sat on a potty for the first time today at school. No big drama to speak of...sounds like it went ok. He's sat on it at home a couple of times for a few seconds at a time.

He really does not seem that excited at all about using a potty at home...well, or diaper changes for that matter. There's always something better, more fun that he'd rather be doing. Oh, we have so many battles over diaper time!

Initially, there was some interest his potty because it was new. Now, the newness has warn off and he is back to being uninterested. I'm not really sure how to make it more EXCITING for him.

5 comments:

Two Girls said...

If he is ready, I've heard that aiming at floating Cheerios can be fun or a reward of a M&M after the deed. But I'm so not there yet, so not sure my advice is sound. Good luck!

DT said...

buy him a dvd to watch?? I saw one in the store the other day - here is an example but amazon has a sesame street one if he is into that.
http://www.amazon.com/Potty-Power-Boys-Girls-various/dp/B002H02V9O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1269541055&sr=8-3

Lynn Tran said...

Good luck, Amy! Keep us posted on your efforts. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions when it comes time for our own potty-training adventures.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I think a dvd could be helpful and big rewards if he is ever successful. I think also with boys watching daddy in the bathroom and some encouraging words from Daddy can help put two and two together. Other than that, good luck, when they are ready they are ready. I think boys are harder to train than girls, for the very reason you mentioned they are such busy buddies and so interested in playing with those darn toys and don't want to take the time to sit on a potty.

Concept ALT said...

Thanks for all the advice, y'all. All stuff that we haven't tried yet. I'm not sure if Xander is ready for the full effort yet. We're getting closer though.