Saturday, August 13, 2011

Xander's 3 year birthday party

This year, we had Xander's first birthday party with guests. When he turned 1, we did a virtual birthday party with grandma and grandpa over a web cam. When he turned 2, we opted for a trip to Seaworld. This year, since he's finally grown into having real friends, we tackled a real party. The good news is that we survived and had a great time.

The theme for his party was a green colored birthday brunch. Brunch was PERFECT timing. Guests arrived at 10am. We had 3 kiddie pools, a sprinkler, and a little crawling tunnel set up. All the kids jumped right into the water and had a blast splashing. For food, we served kolaches, bacon, bagels, strawberries, grapes, snow cones with sugar free syrup, and cupcakes. Our kid guests consisted of two 3 year olds, 2 toddlers, and a 6 year old. We had all of their parents as well.

The weather cooperated with us as it was nicely overcast and cooler than it has been (less than triple digits). The timing was great because by the time the party was over, it was time for nap. One of Xander's birthday gifts was a book, which he got to read for nap time. He fell asleep easily.

Doing this party wore me out though. I only had 4 hours the previous day to accomplish cleaning the house (took 2 hours), buying the food and supplies, making all the gift bags (already had those supplies from the previous weekend), and get a bunch of laundry done. Next time, I need to give myself more time to accomplish this stuff. I was literally running around and doing a minimum of 2 things at a time. We also had to get up early to get the decorations up, the pools and toys and charis set up, and the food prepared. In addition to all the set up, clean up was no easy task, but at least the mess was contained in the back yard. It also didn't help that Aria has been way from 1am-3am pretty much all week long due to an ear infection she's battling. So, today, I had to have a latte with dinner just to make it through the rest of the day.

2 comments:

Two Girls said...

Sounds like a great party! Love the theme. As I was reading I was thinking green eggs and ham, but what you served sounds so much more delicious. :) Yes, entertaining is exhausting and expensive...that's why I did just a family party for Paige this year. Much less stress. But the parties are fun and create awesome memories. Good job Mama!

Thomas Family Tree said...

The party was great Amy, you definitely put on a brave face because I had no idea you had so much on your plate!