Sunday, January 16, 2011

Packing for the hospital

I'm half packed for the hospital trip when our daughter will be born. Packing was SO different this time. The last time, my bag included clothes, a camera, and an iPod with a special "labor" mix list of some of my favorite songs.

The camera and clothes came in handy, but the music was a waste. I only spent 3 hours at the hospital in labor and was not interested in listening to music at any point. So, the iPod is not making it into the bag this time.

This time, my priority new addition to the bag is a Boppy pillow. These C-shaped pillows make nursing so much easier. I remember fiddling with the hospital pillows and never finding a way to get comfortable. What the heck did women do before these Boppies were invited, I have no idea. I got a new cover, but it's the same old pillow that Xander used.

The next addition to the bag are some fancy swaddlers. We used these special blankets with Xander after we brought him home. They have hook and eye tape tabs in them to get baby good an snug. It's not that the hospital blankets were necessarily bad, but the swaddlers are definitely easier when you are tired as all heck.

This time, I've also packed more baby outfits than last time. I remember being extremely bored waiting to get out of the hospital. What's more fun that dressing up baby in cute pink outfits for a zillion photos.

Although I have finished, one thing I am definitely going to back is some better toiletries. Hospital soap is well, depressing. I bringing some nice smelling soap from home.

I think I am packing much earlier than last. Perhaps, it is because I have nothing better to do. Around this time in my last pregnancy, I was reading books on labor and delivery. I was super nervous about everything. This time, the only thing I feel nervous about is the lack of having something concrete to worry about. I keep wondering if I should be more nervous.

2 comments:

Two Girls said...

This may be too personal, but I also packed my own feminine pads. The ones the hospital gives are HUGE and so uncomfortable.

I also took my own sleep bras which made nursing so much more comfortable.

I think on day 2 I took my own clothes to wear in the day. One of the nursing tank tops and some comfy pants. Not sure the nurses liked it, but it sure helped my demeanor.

I agree with the boppie. What DID women do before it was invented? However, I use it way more for bottle feeding Paige, even still. I'm think it may have been part of the reason I never got Paige to latch correctly. I insisted on using it, but never got the right positioning. I use a regular, standard size, flat pillow with Hailey and it works like a charm. However, used the boppie for her to sit on while playing with Paige on the floor. It's super versitile.

Yes, soap, razor, shampoo, toothbrush, etc of my own was so nice to have. I think I even took smelly lotion to help myself feel a little feminine after being cut open on a surgery table in front of my husband. Again TMI?

I'm so excited for you both!

Concept ALT said...

Oh yah, I totally agree on those recommendations.

The pads! Ugh, don't remind me of those horrid things.

And yah, I'm done hanging out in a hospital gown.