If you have ever seen that movie, "Hand that Rocks the Cradle", you'll recall a seen where creepy Rebecca DeMornay's character is nursing the heroine's child. It's very unsettling. I had a bit of an unsettling moment like this last week. A teacher at Aria's school accidentally gave Aria the breast milk of another mother. It wasn't very much because she realized the mistake almost right away. I'm trying very, very hard not to be too bothered by it.
Worst, and most unlikely scenario, she could have contracted a fatal disease from this. Best case scenario, nothing happens. So far, it seems to be the latter. I realize that some people share breast milk, and I guess I'm ok with the concept if it is pasteurized.
As for the teacher, it was a teacher is is really never in the infant room. She is normally with the 2 year olds. The school is meticulous about labeling, and this never happened with Xander. They also told me when they could have not said anything. So, I'm not pulling her out of school. I think she is safe there. It is just unnerving.
3 comments:
Because I had so much milk (way too much at one point) I thought about donating it to a bank. But alas, we don't have one in the area (yes, as RD that is a future niche that needs to be filled and could be my calling). So I think that giving milk to premies or infants who need it is important. However, Aria gets her own with no problem! Ugh! Yes, unnerving. Actions taken against the teacher? Methods to remedy the situation so it never happens again? Does the other mother know too? You're right, the worst scenario is unlikey to happen (good thing we're not in a 3rd World Country!). Try to remain calm and move on. Did you call the nurse line at your peds office? They might have some really good words of wisdom to settle you more. So sorry! I feel for you.
Thanks for the reassurance, Kristen. They did tell the other mom, too. I don't think we'll be seeing that teacher again in the infant room. She does an awesome job with the 2 year olds though.
Then that's her calling...2 year olds. :) Wish I could hug ya! Aria will be fine...it's the mama that needs love. :)
Post a Comment