Friday, August 6, 2010

Birthday Cake Year Two

My trial at using fondant on a cake went ok. It was surprisingly really easy to work with. One mistake that I made was rolling on top of plastic wrap. The plastic wrap gave it wrinkles and not the smooth look that I was looking for.

I'm not really much of an artist and definitely won't quite my day job. I think Xander will like it though.


Strawberry cake with strawberry jam filling:


And strawberry frosting:


Covered with lemon flavored fondant:


Decorated with fondant stars, icing, and an Elmo candle:

7 comments:

Thomas Family Tree said...

That cake is incredible, such a great job Amy. I am throughly impressed. I may need to get some pointers and try my own. Step 1, where do you buy fondant???

Lynn Tran said...

Way to go, Amy! That's really awesome. Hope Xander has an awesome b-day tomorrow!

margie740 said...

Wow, that looks delicious and so professional. Sure wish we could be there to have some !!!

Concept ALT said...

Thanks!

Shelby, I got the fondant at Central Market, but I also saw it for sale at the Party City (the one we went to). It's by all the Wilton decorating stuff.

I wish you could be here to, Grandma.

Jomomma said...

"Not much of an artist"? Oh, Amy...you are so wrong about that!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Great cake Amy! Are you sure the Ace of Cakes didn't make it. I bet it tastes good too! More Strawberries, please! You definitely have some artistic talent!

Two Girls said...

Cute cake! Great job! Looks like he liked it too. Such a good mama. :) Happy 2nd Birthday Xander!