Thursday, March 19, 2009

Xander loves Diana!

Xander appears to be starting the whole separation anxiety phase. He will start crying if mommy leaves his sight, and sometimes if Daddy leaves his sight. He seemed to be ok this morning with Diana. Diana and Ashley are his primary caregivers at his daycare. As soon as I handed him to Diana, he could care less than mommy was headed out the door. Does this hurt my feelings? Nope. I am happy that he has an attachment to Diana. Then, I know he is in good hands during the day.

Sometimes the separation anxiety is funny. I picked him up from day care last week and I needed to get gas. I had the back window and was talking through the window to him to keep him happy. If I just looked at the gas gauge, he would start crying, but when I looked back he was fine. Good thing that eye contact is good enough to keep him happy. Sometimes, he does need physical contact, but not 100% of the time. That would be really a lot of work. I am getting some awesome upper body strength carrying Xander around though.

I was reading some strange psychology article on separation anxiety. Sorry, I lost the link already. It said something about that you could test the child's sense of security by how easily they were comforted after separation (reunion with mom) around 10-12 months. It will be interesting to watch Xander and how his personality develops.

4 comments:

Two Girls said...

Ah yes, seperation anxiety. Paige started really early, like 5 months. The pediatrician said it was a sign of intelligence because it shows she knows who her caretakers are for survival. With them out of sight she worries that she will not survive. It's a good thing mom! I cherish the moments and love that she depends on me so much and knows that I will take care of her. But yes, I hear you about the carrying thing...good thing Paige is little. :)

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Amy you and Christopher had big time seperation anxiety. I don't know if it was worse because you were always with me. I agree with you that it is a good sign that he is also attached to Diana, after all she spends alot of time with him when you and Dolphin are at work. She must do a good job. I hope you let her know your very appreciative of her care for him. Is there such thing as caregiver's day, because there should be, they do a great service for alot of children out there.
You should try carrying around a ten month old days before your due with her little brother. I guess that is why they say being a mother is one of the hardest jobs out there, and I will add one of the most rewarding.

Concept ALT said...

Interesting, I never thought about separation anxiety being associated with intelligence.

Mom, I definitely think you were crazy/brave for having kids so close together.

I learned, sort of after the fact, that breastfeeding impacts your ability to get pregnant. It's not foolproof birth control, but it sort of naturally helps space out the babies I guess....as if exhaustion from taking care of a baby isn't enough birth control...haha. Maybe you have more energy when you are in your 20s! :-)

Jomomma said...

oh my yes...Xander is intelligent enough to know who to trust...when to be scared...when to feel ok.

I agree that you should really consider giving Diana a special gift. Caregivers like her are rare & wonderful.

Comment on breastfeeding=birth-control: keep on doin' the booby-thing. Is there anything about Xander that is not perfect & enough? (Sorry...this is just the mommy of a single child coming out.) ;-)