We took Xander to his 6 month checkup today. He weighs 18lbs 15 oz (75th percentile) and is 26.75 inches long (75th percentile). His head circumference is 43.6cm (50th percentile). The doctor was happy with all of our reports on his behaviors smiling, laughing, squealing, rolling, and sitting. He sat very well while the doctor checked him out. He didn't much care for the oral vaccine that he received, but he eventually ate it all. When it came to the shot vaccines, he was a total champ. He received one in each leg. He cried for about 2 seconds (eh, eh, eh...) and then he was done and happy again.
One bummer of the visit is that Xander still has fluid in one of his ears. I wish it would go away. There is really not much we can do though. It's not infected, which is good, but it is probably not comfortable for him and could mess with his hearing.
8 comments:
Wow what a big boy he is! He is brave like Mommy used to be. Chris and you were always brave at the doctor's. Some mother's have told me their horror stories, but then, you guys were never really sick just a few ear infections so most of your visits were routine. I suppose if your child is sick enough they could get to hate the doctor's office. Wow I just realized how lucky I was. No tubes, no surgeries, no hospital stays. I guess Chris had a few stitches once but nothing big. I was either lucky or just good at mothering. I guess luck makes more sense. Hope that your luck will be as good as mine was.
Yay, good for Xander. What a trooper. I think it would be harder for me than for the child to see him get a shot - haha.
It sure is hard, Lynn. That is why when it came to shot time, Dolphin handed Xander over to me. I try applying some Cesar Milan (Dog Whisperer) logic to the whole thing though. I figure if I remain calm and act like it is no big deal, that will psychologically help Xander stay calm about it, too.
i'm impressed with how well he did with the shots. i like your zen approach too. i really can't hold her while she gets a shot though-- i'm very needle-squeamish myself.
what did the doctor say about the fluid in his ears? how does he get that? and is that related to tubes in the ears?
I see the common sense is taking you the right direction!
Xander is so lucky to have you for a mom. I think I may have traumatized Dolph during his early life shots...just because I was so horrified at those evil people coming at my boy with their evil needles. Good for you & your unselfish sensibilities.
Hey needle fearful, I used to not like needles either. Then, I started donating blood. At first, I would look while the nurse stuck the needle in. Now, I look and it doesn't bother me. It just takes a few time to get over that fear. It really doesn't hurt that bad.
oh yes, donating blood is excellent. i did it really regularly for a long time once I found out I was O-. it really does help with the squeamishness. i still can't watch other people getting shots, and i can't really look at the needle in my arm when i am giving blood. i haven't donated since i got pregnant with R though. i should get back into it again.
Post a Comment